Motorhome Insurance vs. RV Insurance: What Is the Difference?

Exploring the great outdoors in a motorhome or RV is popular for many residents in Kansas City, KS, and surrounding areas, including Johnson, Wyandotte, and Leavenworth Counties. Cities like Overland Park, Shawnee, Merriam, and Mission are starting points for numerous adventures. However, ensuring you have the right insurance is crucial before you hit the road. Many wonder about the difference between motorhome insurance and RV insurance. While they may seem similar, understanding these distinctions is essential for obtaining appropriate coverage. At Tom Rich Insurance, we offer both types of insurance and free quotes to help you make the best choice for your needs.

Understanding Motorhome and RV Insurance

Motorhome Insurance is specifically designed for motorized vehicles that combine transportation and living quarters in one. These vehicles are categorized into three classes based on size and features:

  • Class A: These are the largest types, often resembling buses with luxurious features.
  • Class B: These are smaller, van-sized motorhomes that are easier to maneuver and less expensive.
  • Class C: These mid-sized motorhomes usually have a sleeping space over the cab and offer a good balance of comfort and cost.

On the other hand, RV Insurance covers a broader range of recreational vehicles that are not motorized and require a vehicle to tow them. This category includes:

  • Travel Trailers
  • Fifth Wheels
  • Pop-Up Campers
  • Camper Vans
  • Toy Haulers

Key Differences in Coverage

Scope of Insurance

The main difference between motorhome insurance and RV insurance lies in the scope of coverage due to the nature of the vehicle. Motorhome insurance often includes coverage similar to what you’d find in auto insurance policies because motorhomes are driven, not towed. This includes liability coverage, collision insurance, and more comprehensive options that cover the vehicle’s engine, transmission, and other mechanical parts.

RV insurance, conversely, focuses more on aspects related to a non-motorized unit. Since these vehicles are towed, the insurance typically covers damages from events like fires, theft, vandalism, and natural disasters when the RV is parked.

Additional Coverage Options

Both types of insurance can offer additional coverage options tailored to the traveler’s lifestyle. These might include:

  • Personal Belongings: Protection for items inside the RV or motorhome.
  • Emergency Roadside Assistance: Towing and roadside service coverage if the vehicle breaks down.
  • Temporary Living Expenses: Compensation if the RV or motorhome is damaged during a trip, covering hotel stays or other accommodations.

Why Choose Tom Rich Insurance?

At Tom Rich Insurance in Kansas City, KS, we understand the unique needs of motorhome and RV owners across Kansas, including those in Johnson, Wyandotte, and Leavenworth Counties. We provide tailored insurance solutions that ensure you’re fully protected, whether on a short vacation or a long adventure. Plus, we offer free quotes to help you find the best coverage options within your budget.


Whether you own a motorhome or an RV, having the right insurance is crucial for peace of mind while exploring the open road. Understanding the differences between motorhome and RV insurance helps ensure you have the proper protection tailored to your vehicle type and travel needs. Contact Tom Rich Insurance today at (913) 281-0808 to discuss your motorhome or RV insurance needs and take advantage of our free quotes to confidently start your journey.

Posted in